Doctor Betti
Dr. Betti Hertzberg Ressler is a Board Certified Pediatrician on staff at Miami Children's Hospital. Dr. Hertzberg developed the toilet training video "Let's Go Potty." She is the co-author of "The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies for Children."

Blood Sugar Levels

Question: I have been type 2 diabetic for about the last 5 yrs. My son is 4 and a half and I now suspect that he may be diabetic. Nothing alarming, but I just started checking him with my home monitor. Each time I checked after a small meal (about 3-4 hours later) his #'s were 98 after 1 meal and 72 fasting the next morning. Then 131 after the meal, and 86 fasting the next morning. Do these numbers seem alarming considering normal blood sugars are on average 70-75? Monique

Answer: Type 2 diabetes (AKA adult onset) can be managed by diet, weight control and exercise. At times, medication may be necessary to control blood sugar. This is the type that you have.

Type 1 (AKA juvenile onset), usually is the form of diabetes that occurs in children. Insulin is necessary to control blood sugar with this type.

Looking at blood sugar levels is not enough to make a diagnosis of diabetes. There are other factors that must be looked at. Symptoms such as weight loss, excessive urination, excessive thirst are just a few.

Before you come to any conclusions, please speak with your child's pediatrician. Tell him or her about your concerns. Describe any symptoms and/or concerns that you may have.

Blood sugar levels of 70-75 are normal. This does not mean that a level of 80 or 100 is abnormal. These numbers are all relative to meals and the individual metabolism at the time of the measurement.

Dr. Betti

Also see:

  • Are vitamins reccommended for toddlers?
  • Can a pediatrician comfortably prescribe and manage ADHD medication or is it better suited to a psychiatrist?
  • More questions and answers
  • Ask Dr. Betti your questions

    This information is not intended to be a substitute for visiting your pediatrician. If you or your child has specific concerns, you should see your doctor for a diagnosis and treatment.