Doctor Betti
Dr. Betti Hertzberg Ressler is a Board Certified Pediatrician on staff at Miami Children's Hospital. Dr. Hertzberg developed the toilet training video "Let's Go Potty." She is the co-author of "The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies for Children."

Roseola or Rash?

Question: I work at a preschool. I have a child who has had a rash for two weeks. The parents have told me he has Roseola? He is 4 years old. He continues to scratch and has small tiny raised bumps on his wrists, belly, shoulder areas. I am concerned for our other students. The parents have been applying topical cream, from his doctor. Rebecca

Answer: Roseola is an illness that has very typical symptoms. The major one is fairly high fever for about 2 to 4 days. What's special about this childhood illness is that the child looks quite well, despite the fever.

A fine rash (sometimes very faint) appears on the face and chest area at first. This rash appears AFTER the fever has broken. The rash may or may not spread to the rest of the body.

Once this "Roseola" rash appears, it disappears almost as fast. In 24 to 72 hours, the rash is gone.

What you are describing in the 4 year old sounds more like a dermatitis or allergic type of rash. It does not sound like Roseola.

Rashes can occur from just about any cause. In this case, it might be wise to see if any other children have the same symptoms, or even members of his family.

If the cream doesn't seem to be working, the child's pediatrician should be made aware of this.

Because children are in close contact with each other, if this is something that can be spread, it must be further investigated with proper treatment prescribed.

Also see:

  • My 10 year old daughter is incredibly prone to insect bites. Even when no one else is getting bitten, they seem to go for her! Any suggestions?
  • My 12 year old daughter experiences difficulty sleeping due to fear of the dark and being alone. Is this normal?
  • Ask Dr. Betti your questions

    This information is not intended to be a substitute for visiting your pediatrician. If you or your child has specific concerns, you should see your doctor for a diagnosis and treatment.